One of the most beloved foods that people think of when they think of Mexican cuisine is the tortilla. Tortillas are an essential part of many different Mexican dishes. There are two different types of tortillas that are used, corn and flour. Both of them have their place and are used for different dishes. Eddie’s Mexican Restaurant is here to talk about when you should use corn tortillas and when flour tortillas are the better choice.
Corn tortillas have been around almost since the dawn of time. They are one of the basic foods that ancient civilizations like the Aztecs used to eat. Corn tortillas have evolved since then, but the basic ingredients have stayed the same. Corn tortillas are an excellent choice when you are eating certain foods. Here are some that are almost always served with corn tortillas rather than flour.
– Tacos: While you may have tacos with flour tortillas in some Tex-Mex restaurants, most of the authentic Mexican restaurants are going to serve your tacos using a small corn tortilla. Corn tortillas can give tacos a unique texture as well as flavor that you can’t go wrong with.
– Chips: Who doesn’t love good chips and salsa? Tortillas chips are primarily made using corn and are a staple in Mexican food diets.
– Taquitos: If you have ordered taquitos off the menu, you know that they will be served using corn tortillas. When flour tortillas are used, they are known as flautas.
– Enchiladas: Most of the enchiladas that you eat in an authentic Mexican restaurant will be served using corn tortillas. Corn tortillas tend to be a sturdier tortilla and can hold up with they are soaked and drenched in the enchilada sauce.
Flour tortillas haven’t been around nearly as long as corn tortillas have. It is said that they were produced by the Jewish community that was exiled to New Spain or what we know today as Mexico and South America. Corn wasn’t kosher so they brought in flour and made their tortillas from that. Flour tortillas certainly have a place in Mexican cuisine. Here is where you might use them.
– Burritos: Using a large flour tortilla is ideal for burritos that have a lot of filling. The tortillas are much larger than corn tortillas. When they are filled and then deep fried, it is known as a chimichanga.
– Fajitas: Again, this dish has a lot of filling which often requires flour tortillas over corn.
– Quesadillas: This is another dish that the size of the tortillas is helpful. Filling a large flour tortilla with cheese and grilling it makes the perfect dish.