Arguably, the best part of eating Mexican food is the meat that makes each savory dish explode with flavor. There are several different types of meat used to make the delicious dishes that we all know and love. So many in fact, that it can sometimes be overwhelming when you sit down and are asked what you would like to eat. Eddie’s Mexican Restaurant is here to talk about some of these different types of meats, so you know what you are ordering next time you decide to eat Mexican food.
What are Some Traditional Meats Used in Mexican Cooking?
Many of the meats that are used to make Mexican food are called by names in Spanish. If you don’t know how to speak the language, you may not know what these meats are. A good Mexican dish is hardly authentic without the delicious flavor that these meats bring to the table. Here is a breakdown of the popular meats.
– Carne Asada: This meat that is often used in tacos and burritos, is often marinated in a spicy marinade and then grilled. Asada means “roasted” in Spanish.
– Pollo Asada: “Pollo” is chicken in Spanish. Pollo asada is marinated and grilled chicken that is used is several different types of dishes. If you are looking for a leaner meal, you may choose pollo asada rather than carne asada, since chicken is so much leaner than beef is.
– Lengua: This type of meat isn’t for everyone as it is beef tongue that is cooked and then used to stuff burritos. It is often cooked twice to make it more flavorful as well as more tender.
– Chorizo: This meat is usually spicy or sweet. It is made using pork sausage and is well seasoned using salt and paprika.
– Carnitas: Carnitas is one of the most popular meats used in Mexican dishes. It is a juicy pork that is braised and made with a lot of seasoning to give it a burst of flavor. The pork is first cooked and then it is cooked in the oven again until it is crispy.
– Zapata: This is a mixture of chorizo and carne asada. This is another popular meat for filling burritos and tacos.
– Chori Pollo: If you mix chicken with chorizo, you have chori pollo. Served in tacos and burritos, this meat is especially good when you pair it with your favorite beans and Spanish rice.
Authentic Mexican Cuisine in Las Vegas, Nevada (Just Minutes from Summerlin, North LV, Paradise, Lone Mountain & Henderson, NV)
At Eddie’s Mexican Restaurant, there is no shortage of meats to awaken your senses. We use many different types of meats to create Mexican dishes that will leave you wanting more. We are now open and anxious to see and get to know our customers once again as we have the privilege of making them the most delicious Mexican food in town. Come in to see us today!