If you are a lover of Mexican food, then you know that meat is a big part of some of the most delicious dishes. There are meats of all kinds that are used in Mexican food. Sometimes, these meats have names that you aren’t used to seeing in other cuisines. That’s why Eddie’s Mexican Restaurant is here to talk about each of the meats that you are likely to find on a Mexican restaurant menu.
What Meats You Might Find in a Mexican Restaurant Menu
When it comes to meat, Mexican restaurants do it right. There are several different ways to prepare meat and so, they have different names to set them apart from one another. Here are some of the meats that you might find when you sit down to enjoy some Mexican food:
– Shredded Chicken: This one is obvious and one of the most common meats chosen on a Mexican menu. Shredded chicken, or pollo in Spanish, is used in several dishes including fajitas, tacos, burritos, and more.
– Beef: Another common one is beef. You will often find it either shredded or ground on a Mexican menu. This is also used in almost all of the dishes you have to choose from like tacos, chimichangas, burritos and more.
– Carne Asada: This is one of the most popular meats used in Mexican food. This translates to “grilled meat” in English. Carne asada is beef that makes delicious burritos and tacos. The meat is marinated in a mixture of peppers, lime juice, garlic and many seasonings before moved to the grill.
– Birria: Another popular beef dish is birria. It is a bit more complex than carne asada, as it is prepared by marinated, then cooked, and finally finished off with a sauce similar to a beef consommé. This meat is often used in tacos that are staple for Mexican street food. It is also served as a sort of stew. When put in tacos, it usually comes with a side of consommé to dip the tacos in.
– Lengua: If you have chosen lengua, then you should know that this is cow tongue and is extremely popular. Often seen in tacos and also used in soups, it is a delicacy in Mexican cuisine.
– Al Pastor: This is a way of preparing pork. It is prepared in a way with citrus from pineapple, chiles and cilantro to come up with a delicious, spicy but salty and sweet flavor.
– Carnitas: Another popular way of preparing pork is carnitas. This is a stewed and then shredded pork that is then placed in an oven to broil and get crispy. It makes delicious tacos, burritos, chimichangas and more.
– Chorizo: This is a spicy pork sausage. This is made with Mexican chiles that gives it the red flavor and it a popular meat for breakfast dishes.