When they crave New Mexican food, there are some people who go to their favorite restaurant and order their favorite dish. Patrons always go for what they know they will love and what will certainly satisfy their craving, whether that’s tacos, enchiladas, or chile rellenos. There is often a variety that you can experiment with, even if you do have your favorite dish, like enchiladas for example. There’s enchiladas verdes, red mole enchiladas, and many more. Today, we at Eddie’s Mexican Restaurant would like to dish all about enchiladas.
What is Typically Included in an Enchilada?
Tortillas stuffed with a type of meat and covered with a sauce is essentially an enchilada.
– Meat Options: Meat fillings often include shrimp, fish, beef, or chicken.
– Alternative Options: There are cheese or vegetable options for vegetarians.
– Sauce Selections: Enchiladas are topped with either salsa, a type of sauce, or beans. Additionally, a variety of sauces is included such a cream-based sauce or mole, which can be red, green, brown, or white. It can be called something different too, such as enmolada, encremada, and so forth, depending on the type of sauce on the enchilada. Also, depending on what region they are made in, Enchiladas can also have different names like potosinas, suizas, enchiladas poblanas, and more.
Other Countries Enchiladas are Popular In
– Costa Rica: You will get something that’s closer to an empanada if you order an enchilada here, which is a pastry dough filled with meat.
– Guatemala: They are corn tortillas filled with beef, potatoes, carrots, and are covered with lettuce, cilantro, and red sauce and known as enrolladas.
– Honduras: Being fried corn tortillas with ground beef, cheese, sauce, lettuce, and tomato, locals in this country have enchilada hondureña. This is known as a tostada to Mexicans or Americans. You will have to ask for tacos catrachos, which are tacos covered in sauce and cheese if you want to order something similar to enchiladas in Honduras.
How Many Types of Enchiladas are There?
Below are some tasty New Mexican food varieties you can look forward to trying now that you know a little more about enchiladas.
– Enchiladas Verdes: Give this variety a try if you want a spicy green sauce and tasty fillings. They are topped with Monterey jack cheese and queso fresco and typically with this type of enchilada uses anaheim peppers and shredded chicken as a filling.
– Enchiladas de Chile Ajo: These enchiladas are packed with flavor, as a classic in Oaxacan. You will get a mouth full of smoky flavor using guajillo and serrano chiles, and a plethora or other ingredients, including onion, herbs, garlic, lime, and tomatoes, and filled with shredded chicken.
– Enfrijoladas: Topped with a deep red sauce made from black beans and arbol peppers, this type of enchilada can be filled with either shredded chicken or chorizo. Of course, they are topped with cheese.