There are many popular Mexican dishes that have become a major staple in those who love the cuisine. One particularly is the enchilada. Enchiladas is one of the all-time favorite Mexican dishes which you can find in almost any Mexican restaurant. There are a lot of known facts about enchiladas and their varieties. Eddie’s Mexican Restaurant would like to put the spotlight on the enchilada and why it is so beloved by so many.
What are Mexican Enchiladas?
An enchilada is a traditional Mexican dish that uses a tortilla stuffed with meat, cheese or both and that is covered with a sauce. Enchiladas use a number of different types of meats such as beef, chicken, fish, shrimp and crab meat. However, there are vegetarian variations that will use cheese and vegetables for the stuffing. Once stuffed, the enchilada is covered with a sauce which can vary depending on region. Most Mexican restaurants use a red enchilada sauce which is primarily tomato sauce and spices. However, there are many other types of sauces used for enchiladas that many people do not even known about. There are cream based enchilada sauces, green enchilada sauce, as well as white or brown enchilada sauce. However, even though an enchilada is a tortilla stuffed and covered with a sauce, depending on the type of sauce it may be called something else. Depending on the region the enchilada name and the sauce will vary.
Honduran, Guatemalan & Costa Rican Enchiladas
In Honduras, a well-known country in Central America, is a place where the enchilada uses a fried corn tortilla. For the stuffing they use ground beef, cheese, lettuce, tomatoes and then they top it with a sauce. Here in America, we altered the Honduras traditional enchilada and made it into the tostada. Just south of Honduras is Guatemala where their traditional enchiladas are stuffed with beef, potatoes, and carrots. It is then topped with lettuce, cilantro and a red sauce. Costa Rica has their own version of the enchilada that make you think more of an empanada. Costa Rica’s enchilada is made from a dough that is stuffed and filled with meat and is then baked. When traveling through Central America you may find enchiladas on many menus. However, they will greatly vary.
Eddie’s Mexican Restaurant Menu Enchiladas
Here at Eddie’s Mexican Restaurant, we believe in variety and provide five different variations of the enchiladas as follows:
• Carnitas Enchilada which use two corn tortillas stuffed with tender pork carnitas, topped with relleno sauce and spicy baja sauce.
• Enchilada Sonora uses three corn tortillas laid flat and is layered with cheese and your choice of meat. It is then topped with our enchilada sauce and onions.
• Pollo Verde Enchilada is a chicken enchilada that is topped with a spicy green sauce.
• Verde Shrimp Enchilada is a corn tortilla filled with sauteed shrimp and topped with our green tomatillo sauce, green chilies, and onions.
• Enchilada Del Mar uses two tortillas that is filled with a crab seafood mixture and topped with our special del mar sauce, guacamole, cheese, sour cream, and onions.
Authentic Mexican Cuisine in Las Vegas, Nevada (Just Minutes from Summerlin, North LV, Paradise, Lone Mountain & Henderson, NV
If you have a craving for enchiladas you know where to go! Come on down to Eddie’s Mexican Restaurant or order to go today.