One of the reasons Mexican food is full of such rich flavor is due to the fact that there are a number of different spices that are used to create these authentic Mexican dishes. Different kinds of spices can help you change up the food that you’re preparing in your kitchen. If you have ever wondered what spices are used to create your favorite Mexican dishes, wonder no more. Eddie’s Mexican Restaurant is here to talk about some of the most common spices used in Mexican food.
Different Types of Spices Used in Mexican Food
Following are some of the most commonly used spices that you will find in a variety of Mexican dishes.
– Achiote Paste: Many people use this when they make chorizo or tacos el pastor. It is not only used to make a variety of dishes, but it is also a great choice for marinades. This paste is made using coriander, annatto seeds, oregano, cumin, cloves and garlic.
– Anise: Many of you may know this spice as it is used to make black licorice. It is also used to make the bread that is often eaten on the day of the dead. It is most commonly used when making desserts and cookies.
– Capsicum Peppers: Chilis are used to make several different Mexican dishes. Paprika, red pepper and cayenne all fall under this type of spice. They can be used either dried or fresh to bring a lot of flavors into your dishes.
– Clove: This spice is often associated with cinnamon because it is also made from a flower bud. It is used to make moles and other Mexican sauces.
– Mexican Cinnamon: There are two different types of Mexican cinnamon which include Ceylon(true) and cassia(false) cinnamon. Usually, you will see true cinnamon used in Mexican dishes and it used to make desserts, moles, spiced coffee and more.
– Papalo: This spice has a flavor that is very similar to cilantro, but it is a little bit spicier. It is usually used raw in guacamole, salads and tacos.
– Romerito: This is a popular spice used in many holiday dishes. It tastes similar to spinach even though it looks a lot like rosemary.
– Chili Powder: This is one that you are more than likely familiar with. It is used to add that chili taste to many different dishes.
– Cumin: Another common spice that is used inside the Mexican world as well as everywhere else. This will give your food a bold flavor as well.
Authentic Mexican Cuisine in Las Vegas, Nevada (Just Minutes from Summerlin, North LV, Paradise, Lone Mountain & Henderson, NV)
If you are craving some of the delicious flavors that you can only find in Mexican food, come see us at Eddie’s Mexican Restaurant. We have a large menu that is full of authentic Mexican dishes that are sure to satisfy your craving for Mexican food. All of the dishes on our menu are filled with spices listed above. Come in today!